The biology department at the Universitas Gadjah Mada first formed in 1955 as a dedicated space to teach students about Indonesia’s natural resources. While the department has grown since, the desire to understand and protect natural resources still exists, and has even inspired the department to consider its own environmental impact. The new Faculty of Biology Building B at the Universitas Gajah Mada has green features that conserve natural resources and leave a lower carbon footprint. Located in Yogyakarta, the five-floor building contains three classrooms, a Laboratory of Plant Systematic, a Laboratory of Plant Physiology, a Laboratory of Structure and Development and a library.
Designed and constructed by PT. Omega Minerba Gan, the Faculty of Biology Building lowers operational costs with the help of external shading devices, single-flush water closets and clay-tiled roofing. The building’s green features have been implemented at no additional cost to the university, resulting in a positive sum gain when utility bills are taken into consideration. In addition to its green features, the building also adopted earthquake-resistant building standards as well as accessibility standards for persons with disabilities.
The Faculty of Biology Building B has received final EDGE certification from Green Building Council Indonesia.